ShortPixel Adaptive Images vs. ShortPixel Image Optimizer
Do I still need ShortPixel Image Optimizer(SPIO) if I installed ShortPixel Adaptive Images(SPAI)? Should I deactivate SPIO? Which one is better?
These are some of the questions we received so far regarding our two plugins, and here's an attempt to make things clearer:
- First of all, you can keep both plugins active as they won't conflict with each other but we'd generally recommend you have just one plugin active.
- If your website's audience is "local" and your website is hosted in the same city, then we would generally recommend you use SPIO. Just optimize all the images once and this should make your website's images load fast for your audience.
- If your website's audience tends to be widespread (e.g. whole US or North America or Europe or South America or global) then SPAI is likely to be the best option as it will considerably speed up the image delivery via the ShortPixel CDN.
- SPAI is also the recommended option if your website receives "serve scaled images" warnings when testing the site with GTMetrix or PageSpeed Insights. With SPAI you'll serve scaled images whenever possible and this can lead to dramatic gains in some cases. For example, if you have a 100x100px placeholder on your website and the image used is 1024x1024 pixels, SPAI will resize it to 100x100 pixels and optimize it.
- SPAI is also the recommended option if PageSpeed Insights recommends you to "Defer offscreen images" as it serves the images with lazy load technology out-of-the-box.
- While SPAI uses the same credit system as SPIO, it requires new credits on a monthly basis. You can learn more about this here.
- SPAI has "lazy load" feature included by default so you'll serve the images only when they are about to be seen by your website's visitor. Good for SEO.
- Also good for SEO and included in SPAI: you can serve, on-the-fly, "next-gen" images like WebP regardless of the CDN you are using. This means you can make Google happy with a click of a button! :-)
- No other lazy-load features are activated in the same time
- You check well your site after activating SPAI. Don't worry, if you encounter any problem, just deactivating it will restore everything back to the previous state of things.